A limited number of students (approximately 30 per year) are selected to join the Pre-Law Scholars Program before their enrollment as undergraduates at SMU. Students participating in the Pre-Law Scholars Program who satisfy certain conditions will be guaranteed admission into SMU Dedman School of Law upon completion of their undergraduate degrees. To be considered for the program, applicants must first be admitted to SMU as undergraduates and have marked Pre-Law as an area of interest on their admissions applications. Scholars will be selected based on the overall quality of their applications to SMU. No additional application or essay is required. Invitations to join the Pre-Law Scholars Program will be mailed after SMU’s regular decision notification date.
To gain automatic admission into the SMU Dedman School of Law, Pre-Law Scholars must either:
- Earn at least a 3.75 cumulative undergraduate GPA* and score at least 153 on the LSAT; or
- Earn at least a 3.20 cumulative undergraduate GPA* and score at least 164 on the LSAT
* as calculated by the Law School Admission Council
Additionally, Pre-Law Scholars must meet the following requirements to gain automatic admission into the law school:
- Successful completion of the Pre-Law Scholars class taught by the law school
- No significant character issues and no previous law school attendance
- Completion of their undergraduate degree from SMU within five years
On a space-available basis, continuing SMU undergraduate students with at least 12 hours may apply to join the program. The law school application fee will be waived for the SMU Pre-Law Scholars. Click here
for the PLS application for current SMU students.
Events and Services:
Each Pre-Law Scholar will be invited to special law-related events including:
- Distinguished visiting speakers (judges, prominent attorneys, etc.)
- Conferences and symposia
- Presentations on career paths and preparation
- Law school class visitation
- Law alumni panels
Pre-Law Scholars will also have a unique opportunity to interact with current SMU Dedman School of Law students and faculty and will learn about serving the community through interaction with the law school’s public service program.
For more information on the Pre-Law Scholars program, click here or contact the undergraduate admissions office at 214-768-0103.