There are many ways you can connect with students and increase your visibility at SMU Dedman School of Law. Among these opportunities are:
- Becoming a Mentor
- Collaborating with Student Organizations
- Hosting Events and Presentations
- Participating in Mock Interviews
Become a Mentor
The Mustang Exchange is an innovative “flash mentoring” program rolling out this fall that will connect current students with alumni and friends through multiple, one-on-one mentoring meetings. SMU Dedman School of Law is one of the first schools in the country to offer its students an opportunity to participate in this revolutionary type of mentorship program, which we believe will set the gold standard in mentoring for other programs. If you are interested in becoming a mentor, fill out our e-mentor form
Collaborating with Student Organizations
Interested in connecting with leaders of student organizations? Check the Student Organization Listing
for a list of student organizations and the contact information for their leadership.
Receptions, Presentations and Events for Students
Employers are encouraged to host receptions and participate in career-related or practice-specific information programs or panels throughout the year. Employers may host receptions and information sessions for second, third and LL.M. students during the fall and first-year students in the spring.
Types of Events Held for Students:
- Dean’s List Receptions—held in early spring after grades are released for 1L/2E Dean’s List recipients
- End of 1L Year Celebrations and Study Breaks—held on campus during the last week of class providing a treat to students
- Meet and Greets—held over winter break or at the end of exams in the spring
- Law Review Receptions—held in July after new Law Review members are announced
- Panels and Presentations—held on a variety of topics ranging from study skills to practice areas
If you would like to host an event for students, please contact Mary Beth Nielsen at firstname.lastname@example.org
or214-768-4049. We can work with you on scheduling, marketing and other logistics to connect you with our students.
We are not permitted to release the contact information of our students, but we can gladly distribute invitations and marketing materials on your behalf. Also, employers may not communicate directly or indirectly with first year students before December 1.
If you would like to connect with students, but cannot host an event or presentation, we welcome you to sponsor some of our events or fund diversity scholarships with clerkships and mentorship programs.
DAYL Mock Interviews
Participate in Mock Interview Programs
Each year, the Office of Career Services collaborates with the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers to offer mock interview programs as a way for students to improve their interview skills and prepare for on-campus interviews and self-directed career searches.
Mock Interview Match
Mock Interview Match provides students an opportunity to practice their interviewing skills before a “real” attorney in a law firm over the summer. Our goal is to match every 1L or 2E student who desires to participate in Mock Interview Match with an attorney who will provide at least one interview session with the student this summer – at the attorney’s office and on a day and at a time that is mutually agreeable.
How the Program Works:
- By the end of May, we match you with a student and provide an email introduction. From this point on, it will be the responsibility of the student to make arrangements with you for your mock interview.
- Students will reach out to you after July 17 with an updated resume to request a mock interview. Typically, students and attorneys arrange interviews between mid-July and the end of August.
- Interviews will be held in your office on a day and time that is mutually agreeable.
By connecting our students with practicing attorneys in the DFW legal community not only do we hope to improve their interviewing skills, but provide them with a relationship and new contact as they enter the Dallas legal market.
For more information on Mock Interview Match, please contact Karen Sargent at email@example.com